Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Boo Hoo For The Boys

In the last 2 weeks, I have had 2 heated conversations with friends and family about circumcision.  Although many people have their own opinions on this subject, and they have the right to it, I am a very strong believer in leaving my boys "winky" unharmed.

The first time I thought I might be having a boy my mother asked if we would be circumcising. She asked because on her side of the family it just was "not done". We left our boys "pee-pees" in tact "as god made them". Although I am not a religious person, that made sense to me. My husband on the other hand was "cut" at birth and seemed to see nothing wrong with the procedure. I thought 99% that I was having all girls and this would not be something I would even have to decide on.... so I didn't. I said it was up to my husband when the baby was born.

Out came baby boy #1. When asked by the doctor if that was something we would like to do my first response was "don't touch my damn baby!". Then, we found out that it is no longer free of charge (as it had been for decades) and it would cost us $300 out of our pockets since it was elective. Thankfully my husband agreed with my feelings and did not push it to be done. My mother-in-law on the other hand could not believe we were not doing it. She was outraged! She thought my sweet little first born would get an infection for sure and would have to have it amputated or something, or he woulod be ridiculed by the other boys for having a little extra skin on the end of his "doodle". An uneducated woman who believed I needed to teach them to pull back the skin and wash every day. After speaking with our family practitioner, it turns out that you never pull back the skin until they are at a "showering age" and that 55% of boys are no longer cut.... so mother-in-law's theory went out the window! Phew.

When baby boy #2 came out..... it was a no-brainer. I was not cutting my child in any way shape or form. I did take the time to look it up online and view a very graphic video of the procedure though. This video showed a helpless baby being strapped down by all fours and having these clamps stretch out the skin to 3 times its size, then, when it seemed it could not get any worse, they cut the end off with scissors and simply stuck a towel to stop the blood. No drugs, no freezing.... just screaming helpless baby boy. Hmmm.

As women we endure a whole lot of shit. We have cramps, bloating, bloody periods, child birth, pap-tests, mammograms, menopause,  hormone replacement treatments, etc etc etc. What do men have? Oh wait.... they have orgasms every time they have sex and..... and...... and..... sorry... that's all I got! So I ask this; if 1 out of every 10 boy could develop a penis infection from not being circumcised as a baby and possibly have to have it done as an adult.... don't they kind of deserve this one little (painful I am sure.... but I don't sympathize after 1 vaginal and 1 c-section delivery) thing. Don't they?

I am not saying I want my boys to get infected.... so they bathe regularly..... but I certainly don't want innocent little monkey men being violated when they have no idea what it going on. They may not "remember" as some people say.... but don't some of them deserve to?!

(If I have offended anyone who has a child and has gone through with this procedure then I do apologize... but I am certainly allowed my very strong opinion on this subject and I love you all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment